[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #74283] History for Question about MODE (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:12:16 MST 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

I'm running MODE with METV4.1 and I am trying to define objects in the 2m AGL UGRD and VGRD fields using a negative conv_thresh value so as to work with objects whose values are negative.

For UGRD, I set the value of raw_thresh to <=0.0 to set all positive values to bad data since I'm only interested in defining objects from the field of negative values. I set conv_thresh to <=-3.0 to define objects with negative values greater than -3.0. (ie. -3.5, -4.0, -4.5, etc). I know that the observation field contains a significant number of values meeting this criterion.

When I run MODE, it finds no objects forecast or observed.

I then tried changing the conv_thresh value to a positive number, conv_thresh<=3.0  (leaving raw_thresh the same) to see if MODE isn't reading the - sign. In this case it defines the entire domain as a single object.

This leads me to conclude that the functionality of raw_thresh is not what I'm expecting. I thought that it would throw out all positive values of UGRD from consideration when defining objects. If this were the case why would the entire domain containing positive and negative values be considered a single object?

I then tried a test by setting raw_thresh<=0.0 and conv_thresh>=3.0 and MODE found no objects forecast or observed which makes sense and seems to indicate that perhaps the functionality of raw_thresh is what I thought it was.

Could you offer an explanation about the above observations and why I can't seem to define objects in fields of negative values? If you need me to send data, I can use our Secure Access File Exchange, but I will need a specific email address to send the download link.

Thanks.

R/
John Raby
US Army Research Laboratory