[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #71367] History for using precipitation budget with copygb

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:17:09 MST 2016

I am using METv4.1 in order to verify precipitation from grib files.  These grib files are generated using copygb to interpolate the precipitation fields for models of multiple resolutions onto a common 4km grid.  I understand that copygb is not inherently part of the MET system, however I was wondering if you had any personal experience using the '-i3' option (precipitation budget option) with copygb in verifications?

I am looking to speed up my code, and copygb with the 'i3' option is about 7 times slower than without specifying the option.  I have only tested two days so far, but I have not seen a significant difference between specifying the 'i3' option as opposed to leaving it out.  So, I had considered performing the interpolation in the future without i3.  Could you comment on this with any experience/thoughts as to verifications using this interpolation method?