[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #74983] History for Used MET with NETCDF output model WRF

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 23 10:48:12 MST 2016

Please, how I can use TEM with WRF output in NETCDF format?
Indeed, I can not run "point_Stat" with this format.
Thank you.
Nabil.

Subject: Used MET with NETCDF output model WRF
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Feb 04 11:02:45 2016

Hello,

I see that you have a question about using the MET point_stat tool to
verify output from WRF.  MET isn't not designed to read the NetCDF
output
of WRF directly.  Instead, it must first be post-processed using
either the
wrf_interp utility for WRF-ARW or the unified post processor (UPP).
UPP is
preferable since it writes GRIB files which MET fully supports.

I'm not familiar with "TEM" so I'd need some more information on that.

Hope that helps clarify.

met_help at ucar.edu

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 6:07 AM, BEN SALEM Nabil via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Feb 08 09:51:14 2016

Nabil,

I'm glad you were able to run UPP to post-process your NetCDF wrfout
files.

But I see that you're having trouble using the Grid-Stat tool in MET
and
are getting the following error:
   get_att() -> global NetCDF "Projection" not found

I would need to see the exact call you made to Grid-Stat to be sure,
but
the error message indicates that you are passing the Grid-Stat tool a
NetCDF file in a format that is not supported.  Is it possible that
you
still are passing it the NetCDF wrfout file instead of the GRIB output
from
UPP?

Let's take a step back and have you run the plot_data_plane tool
first.
That reads one field from a gridded data file and creates a plot of
it.
First, find one GRIB output file from UPP and run the following
command.
In my example, I call the GRIB file "fcst.grb", but just substitute in
the
name of your file:

   met-5.1/bin/plot_data_plane fcst.grb temp_2m.ps 'name="TMP";
level="Z2";'

This should create a PostScript output image.  If you can easily
display
those, try converting it to a png:

   convert -rotate 90 -background white -flatten temp_2m.ps
temp_2m.png

Did that work?  "TMP" is the GRIB code abbreviation for temperature
and
"Z2" indicates that we want a vertical level (Z) with a value of 2.
So
this is a plot of 2-meter temperature.

Hope that helps get you started.

met_help at ucar.edu

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM, BEN SALEM Nabil via RT

> Mon Feb 08 08:18:05 2016: Request 75011 was acted upon.
> Transaction: Ticket created by NBENSALEM at air-rhonealpes.fr
>        Queue: met_help
>      Subject: met_help : Used MET with NETCDF output model WRF
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: NBENSALEM at air-rhonealpes.fr

> Please, I need your help to launch MET tools.
> I used the last version of UPP to convert the WRF netcdf file
(output) to
> grib format. But when I use this last file (grib format) with Grid-
Stat Met

From: BEN SALEM Nabil
Time: Tue Feb 09 01:05:43 2016

Hello,
First of all, thank you for your reaction ...

1 - I lanced “run_unipost_frames” to covert my wrf netcdf file (ARW)
to grib. The new grib grid is wrfprs_d03.00.grib  (for the first hour)
2- Then, I launched point_stat and it works well   I have different
statistics file “point*” , but we used the file of 1 hours.  But how
can I create a grib file for several hours ?

Now, I launched grid_stat with:
./grid_stat ARG1 ARG2 ARG3
Where:
ARG1: “wrfprs_d03.00.grib” : Output UPP (1 hours) : forecast grid
 AGR2: prepbufer.gdas.146700.2015120700.nc: download on website
AGR3: GridStatConfig_defaut: configuration file

Finally, when I tested the grib output file of UPP with
“plot_data_plane”, I have the results in the attachment.

Thanks for your help,

met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Feb 09 09:27:40 2016

Ben,

Typically users run UPP separately for each output time.  Take a look
at
that script "run_unipost_frames" at these lines:

export fhr=00
export lastfhr=18
export incrementhr=03

You set "fhr" to the first forecast hour to be post-processed, usually
00.
Set "lastfhr" to the last forecast hour.  For a 60 hour forecast, set
it to
60.
Set "incrementhr" to your output frequency.  For example, 12 for 12-
hourly
output times.

Setting those to 00, 60, and 12 should generate separate output GRIB
files
for 00, 12, 24, 48, and 60.

And you should expect to run Point-Stat (and/or Grid-Stat) once for
each
output time you're verifying.  Most users put calls to UPP and the MET
tools into scripts that loop over the output times they want to
verify.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:05 AM, BEN SALEM Nabil via RT

> Hello,
> First of all, thank you for your reaction ...
>

> 1 - I lanced “run_unipost_frames” to covert my wrf netcdf file (ARW)
> grib. The new grib grid is wrfprs_d03.00.grib  (for the first hour)
> 2- Then, I launched point_stat and it works well   I have different
> statistics file “point*” , but we used the file of 1 hours.  But how
can I
> create a grib file for several hours ?
>
> Now, I launched grid_stat with:
> ./grid_stat ARG1 ARG2 ARG3
> Where:
> ARG1: “wrfprs_d03.00.grib” : Output UPP (1 hours) : forecast grid
>  AGR2: prepbufer.gdas.146700.2015120700.nc: download on website
> AGR3: GridStatConfig_defaut: configuration file
>
> Finally, when I tested the grib output file of UPP with
“plot_data_plane”,
> I have the results in the attachment.
>

> Thanks for your help,
> Nabil.

So, I have one file for each 12 hours, but I want a file for several
hours as the initial netcdf output wrf model ?

From: BEN SALEM Nabil
Time: Tue Feb 09 13:52:39 2016

Ok, but the grid stat tools does not work correctly as this as I
explained in my last email. ? And I send you the result of th
plot_plan tools of the grib file created with upp tools.