[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78877] History for WRF 2D data in MODE Time Domain

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:51:32 MST 2016

I am interested in using MTD to verify WRF 2D data. Is it possible for MODE to ingest wrf2d data directly, or must it be regridded or remapped first?

Thanks for your help,

Jason Flemke

Subject: WRF 2D data in MODE Time Domain
From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Fri Dec 09 15:03:38 2016

Hi Jason.

I would be happy to help you.  However, before I'm able to provide you
with
direct assistance, you'll need to fill out the free registration form
on
the MET website.  Go to:

   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/index.php

Enter your email address and hit enter to be taken to the registration
page.  We require that all users register before receiving direct
assistance so as to ensure that we remain in compliance with the
international export laws of the United States.

Please let me know when you've registered, and I can help you with
this.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Flemke, Jason P. via RT

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Flemke, Jason P.
Time: Mon Dec 12 09:34:13 2016

Hi Julie,

I am emailing you back to let you know that I have filled out the
registration form on the MET website.

Thanks,

Jason Flemke

________________________________

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Mon Dec 12 09:39:14 2016

Hi Jason.  Thank you for letting me know.

I see that you are interested in verifying WRF 2D data and are asking
about
what MODE can ingest with regard to WRF 2D data.  The MET tools cannot
read
WRF data directly.

MET has the ability to read 3 different flavors of NetCDF...
 - The format used to write intermediate files in MET (i.e. the output
of
pcp_combine)
 - NetCDF files following the Climate Forecast conventions (i.e.
CF-compliant NetCDF)
 - The output of the pinterp or wrf_interp utility

Raw WRF output files are not included in that list.  The challenge is
not
the file format but that the data is still in native model levels and
is
defined on a staggered grid.

You have two options...
 - Post-process using the Unified PostProcessor which creates GRIB
output
files.
 - Post-process using the wrf_interp utility which writes a NetCDF
file
that MET reads.

The downside to wrf_interp is that it does not actually destagger the
grid
and doesn't derive any additional output fields.  Practically speaking
that
means you're limited to the raw WRF output variables, and MET can't
read
winds which use the staggered dimension.

I hope that helps!

Julie

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Flemke, Jason P. via RT

> Hi Julie,
>

> I am emailing you back to let you know that I have filled out the
> registration form on the MET website.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason Flemke
>
> ________________________________
Domain

<met_help at ucar.edu

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Flemke, Jason P.
Time: Mon Dec 12 11:17:14 2016

Julie,

Thank you for your help. I am a visitor to NCAR starting my research
for the University of Saskatchewan. I was wondering if my sponsor,
Changhai Liu, and I could meet with you sometime to discuss this
problem. Please let me know a good time for us to meet with you.

Thanks again,

Jason

<met_help at ucar.edu

--