[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77528] History for grib2 format

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 12 11:39:21 MDT 2016

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm try to use grib2 file and get this message for any operation:

ERROR  : out of memory!  Exiting!

Could you help me with this error?

--
Bianca Buss Maske
Bacharel em Meteorologia - UFPEL

Subject: grib2 format
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Aug 11 12:48:09 2016

Bianca,

It's a coincidence that you wrote with this error message.  I'm
working on
testing the next version of MET, version 5.2, prior to its release.
And I
ran into exactly that same error message this morning when reading
GRIB2
files!

This error is caused by the G2C library to which MET is linking.  That
library tells the MET code how big the GRIB2 record is, but is
returning a
massive number.  When MET tries to allocate that amount of memory, the
error occurs.

I did some testing and am able to replicate the behavior using version
1.6.0 of the G2C library.  Using the previous version, 1.4.0, it all
works
fine.

However, the problem is not in the version of the library... it's in
the
compilation options that are used.  The default compilation options
changed
from 1.4.0 to 1.6.0.  Specifically, compiling the G2C library with
"-D__64BIT__" causes this error.

Please do the following...
(1) In the G2C library, edit the makefile by removing the "-
D__64BIT__"
option.
(2) Also, set "LIB=libgrib2c.a" to match the library name that MET is
expecting.
(3) Recompile the G2C library.
(4) Recompile MET.
(5) Try running your test again.

Please let me know how it goes.  Once we get this all figured out,
we'll
update the MET online tutorial with this information.

met_help at ucar.edu

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Bianca Maske via RT

From: Bianca Maske
Time: Fri Aug 12 11:01:35 2016

Dear John

Thank you for your explanation!