[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77523] History for grid_stat questions

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 12 11:38:13 MDT 2016

I'm attempting to use MET seriously for the first time to verify some
probabilistic precipitation forecasts.  The tutorial slides were very
helpful in getting me going in the right direction, and grid_stat seems to
be running without complaint if I do things a certain way, but only the *
pairs.nc is populated with actual data - the .stat and .txt files just have
the header line.

First question is GRIB2 related - is the Product Definition Template Number
figured out internally by the code?  In the grib2_vars_flat.txt file I
didn't see a way to distinguish deterministic APCP from probabilistic
APCP.  It seems like it might be treating it as a normal APCP, at least in
the *pairs.nc file the forecast field gets labeled as being in kg/m^2.

Second is that I seem to have to provide as many observational cat_thresh
values as there are categories in the forecast block.  This contradicts the
tutorial slide I'm following, so maybe provides a clue as to what is going
wrong for me.   Doing it this way:

 field = [
      {
        name       = "APCP";
        level      = [ "A24" ];  *# <------ Note...doing as "(*,*)" as in
the example I was following created failures.  Maybe specifying as A24 is
problematic??*
        prob       = TRUE;
        cat_thresh = [ >=0.0, >=0.1, >=0.2, >=0.3, >=0.4, >=0.5, >=0.6,
>=0.7, >=0.8, >=0.9, >=1.0 ];
      }
   ];

obs = {

   field = [
      {
        name       = "APCP";
        level      = [ "A24" ];
        cat_thresh = [ >25.4 ];
      }
   ];
}

Gives me this error message:

ERROR  : GridStatConfInfo::process_config() -> The number of thresholds for
each field in "fcst.cat_thresh" must match the number of thresholds for
each field in "obs.cat_thresh".

Any hints on where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Matt