[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #71901] History for SAL query

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 14 13:14:12 MDT 2015

Hi John
I was came across SAL (Structure, amplitude n location) idea of evaluating the forecasts. pertaining to this, there is confusion in my understanding.
1. i read that It answers the question "is domain averaged PPTN correctly FCST"??. this is what is called as the AMPLITUDE. So what is the difference between upscaling and calculation of amplitude (A) in SAL???2. Secondly, cam MET compute the A??? (Amplitude) of SAL???.
3. what actually is computed after computing the OBS and FCST areal averages. is is the correlation between the two values????Pls clarifyGeeta