[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #63624] History for point_stat evaluation in the upper troposphere

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 27 08:32:58 MST 2015

I am using MET 4.0 patched recently for virt temp in prepbufr - ie. conversion of prepbufr to netcdf is recent.

I am evaluating WRF runs over a month period in summer against prepbufr and am getting unexpected results both for intial time and forecasts.
At lower levels bias in GHT and temperature is within bounds. However, at 250 and 100 mbs the bias (ME) is unexpectedly high ie. is consistently > 0 and often ~ 1K or so. Winds/mixr seem more reasonable.

As recommended I used pinterp with logp interpolation. I tried  initial conditions from NAM and GFS and results are very similar. At this point possible problems as I see it can be due to WPS, PINTERP or MET. Do you see these kind of problems in your evaluations?

I could send logs of my MET jobs if that would help. I would appreciate any suggestions on what can be wrong.

Thanks,
Mariusz

Ps: "posterior" is for initial condition (no Data assimilation), "pprior" is 6-hr fcst