[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #70345] History for Questions on using UPP for MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 13 09:50:43 MST 2015

Good afternoon,

I have reached out to wrfhelp about these questions, since I know that
UPP-specific questions should really be directed there, but they haven't
been responsive to me in the last few weeks, so I wanted to reach out to
you as well in case you know from having used UPP before.  Any guidance you
have is much appreciated.

I wish to use UPP in two separate steps (unipost and copygb), with varying
options for copygb depending on the application.  The run_unipost* scripts
that the WRF Users' Guide instructions tell me to edit, though, contain
both unipost and copygb code.  Also, it seems the run commands are in this
script itself, rather than being entered from the command line.  How then
do I run just unipost or just copygb?  Do I have to rebuild the unipost and
copygb executables every time I edit this script, or do I run the script
itself?

I am looking to use UPP on a wrfout file starting at 2013-08-30-06 and
ending 2013-08-31-00 with output every hour (all in one file).  My best
guess from the scripts is that I would use the run_unipost_frames script,
set startdate = 2013083006, fhr = 06, lasthr = 23, incrementhr = 01, and it
just wouldn't read the last hour (since that is on a different date and I
don't see a way for the script to read that).  Is this correct?  But it
looks like the script uses fhr and not incrementhr to increment the
forecast times.

The script commented sections say I need to create an input file itag, but
lines 158-163 seem to do this for me as long as I verify that its current
settings are correct for me.  Is this right?

Thank you!
Jess