[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #74435] History for ascii2nc data format

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 22 10:49:17 MST 2015

Having just installed, tested and started to learn MET myself, I would like to work on the real observation data for local WRF output evaluation. Thinking about using ascii2nc, I reformat our Nepal meteorological observation data, but it looks like the format is not yet correct. So far, the error messages are:

$./bin/ascii2nc data/sample_obs/ascii/444040.asc \ out/ascii2nc/444040.nc
DEBUG 1: Config File: /home/vsurapipith/met-5.1_bugfix/share/met/config/Ascii2NcConfig_default
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
  what():  basic_string::substr
Aborted (core dumped)

Here I attach the ascii file that I use as input, being aware that it is a bit different from the sample. Could you kindly spot for me the significant errors that are in the ascii file, such that I may correct efficiently, please?

Actually I'll appreciate if you may recommend the best data format to try for Nepal/Himalayan region. We collect a number of local observation in ISD format, but these have to be most effectively formatted.

Best wishes,
Vanisa
---
Vanisa Surapipith, Ph.D.
Atmospheric Modeller, Atmosphere Initiative, Water and Air Theme
International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
GPO Box 3226, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel +977-1-5003222 Ext 415 Fax +977-1-5003277 Web www.icimod.org<http://www.icimod.org/>
Connect to ICIMOD: [facebook16x16] <http://www.facebook.com/icimod>   [twitter16x16] <http://www.twitter.com/icimod>   [youtube16x16] <http://www.youtube.com/icimod>