[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #69036] History for MET 4.1: Point_stat issue

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 23 14:50:45 MDT 2014

Hello again,

I'm trying to find a problem with my inability to run point_stat for a pair of NetCDF files.  Here's what I am seeing from MET:

DEBUG 1: Default Config File: /home/qcteam/METv4.1/data/config/PointStatConfig_default
DEBUG 1: User Config File: /home/qcteam/METv4.1/data/aod/aod_point_stat_air.cfg
DEBUG 4: Met2dDataFileFactory::new_met_2d_data_file() -> created new Met2dDataFile object of type "FileType_NcMet".
NetCDF: Attribute not found

Here's what I defined for the fields in the point_stat config file:

fcst = {
   message_type = [ "ADPSFC" ];
   field = [
      {
         name = "PM2_5_DRY(0,0,*,*)";
         cat_thresh = [ >=0.0 ];
      }
   ];
};

obs = {
   field = [
      {
         name = "obs_arr(*,4)";
         cat_thresh = [ >=0.0 ];
      }
   ];
};

Within the forecast NetCDF file the following values are set:

dimensions:
        Time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
        west_east = 249 ;
        south_north = 149 ;
        bottom_top = 56 ;

        float PM2_5_DRY(Time, bottom_top, south_north, west_east) ;
                PM2_5_DRY:FieldType = 104 ;
                PM2_5_DRY:MemoryOrder = "XYZ" ;
                PM2_5_DRY:description = "pm2.5 aerosol dry mass" ;
                PM2_5_DRY:units = "ug m^-3" ;
                PM2_5_DRY:stagger = "" ;
                PM2_5_DRY:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT" ;

Within the observation file:

dimensions:
        obs_arr_len = 5 ;
        nhdr = 1820 ;
        nobs = UNLIMITED ; // (1820 currently)

        float obs_arr(nobs, obs_arr_len) ;
                obs_arr:long_name = "array of observation values" ;
                obs_arr:_fill_value = -9999.f ;
                obs_arr:columns = "hdr_id gc lvl hgt ob" ;
                obs_arr:hdr_id_long_name = "index of matching header data" ;
                obs_arr:gc_long_name = "grib code corresponding to the observation type" ;
                obs_arr:lvl_long_name = "pressure level (hPa) or accumulation interval (sec)" ;
                obs_arr:hgt_long_name = "height in meters above sea level or ground level (msl or agl)" ;
                obs_arr:ob_long_name = "observation value" ;

Additional information:

"ADPSFC" is the message type within the header of the observation files, but it does not appear in the forecast file anywhere.
I am using PM2_5_DRY(0,0,*,*) as the designation assuming 0 represents the first member of an array and not 1.  The second 0 indicates the surface data should be used, the first of 56 levels.  I used "*" to represent the X and Y nature of the grid.
I am using obs_arr(*,4) because there are 5 data fields, and only the 5th one (numbered 4 when starting from 0) is the actual data field of interest.  The first * indicates to use all 1820 observations.
I built the observation file using 'ascii2nc'; the forecast file was built separately by a colleague.

The observation file is ~350KB so I could easily e-mail it, but the model data is ~1.3GB, so obviously I can't easily send that along for you to test with.  Perhaps I could FTP it somewhere you could try to replicate the error?

Do you see anything here that I've made a mistake with?  I've spent a couple hours staring at code and reading the user's manual; I can't find any guidance as to where I made the mistake.  I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks,
Matt

// SIGNED //
Matthew C. Sittel