[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #69601] History for pointwise wind direction

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:48:41 MST 2014

I wanted to ask whether there is a possibility to verify wind direction
pointwise, so eg. calculate RMSE of wind direction for every single
observation point, and then make and average of these RMSE values.

If I make the verification following the Users Manual (point_stat and then
stat_analysis) then it calculates the error of area averaged forecast and
observed wind direction (if I understand correctly). I guess this method
favours low resolution models (I am comparing low and high resolution
models).

Thanks and best regards,
Balazs Szintai