[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #68582] History for MET ensemble_stat problems

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 14 09:49:47 MDT 2014

I am trying to use ensemble_stat for the first time and am having some
problems. My configuration is:

MET v4.1, downloaded around August 1.  Update package applied before
compilation.
Compiled using GNU compilers.
CentOS 6.4
(Met 4.0's grid_stat and madis2nc runs operationally on this system daily.)

My first problem is the apparent discrepancy between the options given in
the Users' Guide and those the program appears to have.  The manual (4.1,
May 2013) lists -ens_valid  (and -ens_lead) as options in the program, but
using them generates an error message.  Issuing ensemble_stat without any
options does not list these options, but does list -ssvar_mean, which is not
listed in the manual.

My second problem comes when I try to run the program.  I eventually want to
bring in my MADIS data for verification (as I'm doing with other model
verifications), but as a start, I just want the program to run and produce
some diagnostic ensemble statistics.  When I run the program with a couple
of grib files, I get the messages:

DEBUG 1: Default Config File:
/home/stevem/wrf/MET/METv4.1/data/config/EnsembleStatConfig_default
DEBUG 1: User Config File: ./EnsembleStatConfig
ERROR  :
ERROR  : VarInfoFactory::new_var_info() -> unsupported gridded data file
type "0"
ERROR  :

I have uploaded a simple set of files to the "masters_data" directory on
your ftp site.  The command I run is found in verf0.csh.  The grib files I'm
trying to send to the program are c00.grb and p01.grb.  These are 144-hour
forecast grib files generated from WRF output by the UPP.   I have stripped
all but the bare-necessity records from the grib files to speed my
processing.

I've looked quickly through the MET_HELP archives but haven't noted anything
about ensemble_stat.   Please let me know what I am doing wrong here, and/or
direct me to the documentation that will help me.

Steve Masters  smasters at cfl.rr.com
Dr. Stephen Masters Consulting, LLC
Melbourne, FL