[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #63257] History for MET question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 28 10:46:48 MDT 2013

I was wondering what the OS (assuming it's UNIX), storage, CPU, and RAM
requirements are for running MET 4.0.  Thank you.

Caleb Midgley
Engility Corporation
402-232-7063

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #63257] MET question
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Oct 03 09:55:44 2013

Caleb,

The current release of MET is METv4.1 which is available for download
here:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/index.php

MET was developed on a Debian Linux platform but has been run
successfully on many different type of Linux distributions.  There are
no specific storage, CPU, or RAM requirements for MET.  It really
just depends on your data.  Evaluating a relatively coarse domain with
hundreds of grid points can on a very modest system, while evaluating
grids with 10's of thousands of grid points would require a
more robust machine.  When you run the MET tools, if you find them
running too slow or have memory issues, just write met_help at ucar.edu
with a description of the problem.  We may be able to help you
modify the configuration file settings to alleviate the problem.

MET is not one large monolithic system.  Instead, it's a collection of
smaller utilities that can be strung together to accomplish a
verification task.  I'd suggest taking a look at the online
tutorial.  Here's the one for METv4.0 (the METv4.1 is coming soon):
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv4.0/index.php

met_help at ucar.edu

From: cmidgley.ctr at cnttr.dtra.mil
Time: Thu Oct 03 11:32:16 2013

John,

Thank you for the information.  On the high end I may need to look at
a domain which has a total of 30,000 grid points.  That is unusually
large though.  Would you have any estimates as to what that scope
might require?  Thank you.

Caleb

The current release of MET is METv4.1 which is available for download
here:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/index.php

MET was developed on a Debian Linux platform but has been run
successfully on many different type of Linux distributions.  There are
no specific storage, CPU, or RAM requirements for MET.  It really just
depends on your data.  Evaluating a relatively coarse domain with
hundreds of grid points can on a very modest system, while evaluating
grids with 10's of thousands of grid points would require a more
robust machine.  When you run the MET tools, if you find them running
too slow or have memory issues, just write met_help at ucar.edu with a

met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Oct 03 11:54:46 2013

Caleb,

I'm not going to be able to provide you with much specific guidance on
this.  I can tell you that we often run on the 4-km StageIV
precipitation analysis grid which is 1121x881, or 986701 grid points.
  And I run that on my desktop machine which is a quad-core Dell
running Debian Linux with 6 GB of memory.  However, MET can run on
much less lesser machines.

As I mentioned, if there are problems with memory and/or speed, you
could adjust the configuration.  Here's an example - suppose you're
running the Point-Stat tool to verify 12 difference forecast
variables.  Point-Stat reads in the data for all 12 variables into
memory and loops through the point observations looking for matches.
If that's too much info to hold in memory at once, you could
just run Point-Stat twice - once for the first 6 variables and once
for the last 6.  Or run it 12 times - once for each variable.  The
downside is that it'll run slower because it'll have to loop
through the point observations 12 times instead of once.  But the
resulting statistics computed should be the same either way.

As for storage requirements, again, it all depends on the amount of
data you're processing.  The MET output can be very small - ASCII
files with summary statistics.  Or you could save off the
individual matched pairs, which would require more storage.  If you
run the MODE tool, you could save off the PostScript image output
which is larger.  Or you could turn that off.

I'd suggest that you just start using it, and adjust the
logic/configuration as needed as you go.

If you're in the process of acquiring new hardware, I'd figure out
your budget and buy the biggest and fastest machine you can afford!

Sorry I don't have more specifics for you.

From: cmidgley.ctr at cnttr.dtra.mil
Time: Thu Oct 03 13:18:46 2013

John,

This is good information.  Thank you.  One final question, the virtual
machine that I'll be running this on is Red Hat 6.4.  Is that
environment ok?  Thanks.

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Oct 03 13:51:40 2013

Caleb,

Yep, that should be fine.  I know of other users who have run on Red
Hat.

Just let us know if any questions or issues arise in your use of MET.

From: cmidgley.ctr at cnttr.dtra.mil
Time: Fri Oct 04 07:04:00 2013

John,

Sorry, one more question for you.  I was wondering if MET can be run
in the Cygwin environment.  It is basically a UNIX environment in
Windows.  I have the GNU fortran and C/C++ compiler in the Cygwin
environment.  The machine in question is a Windows 7 64 bit device.

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Oct 04 09:34:16 2013

Caleb,

Here's a link to a previous met_help question from 2008 about running
METv1.0 under cygwin:
    http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/met_help/2008-
January/000112.html

I haven't tried to do it myself, and this user had a lot of trouble
getting it working in that environment.  My guess is that you'd spend
a lot more time debugging the environment than actually doing
verification.  If you have access to a Linux machine, I'd recommend
installing/running MET there.  If cygwin is your only option, you
could try it.  But you may be in for some headaches.

Subject: MET question
From: cmidgley.ctr at cnttr.dtra.mil
Time: Mon Oct 14 14:57:02 2013

John,

Before I head off to the NetCDF recompilation and support, can you
tell me if the attached header file should be looking for netcdf.h
instead of netcdf.hh?  Please see attached error.  Thank you.

Caleb