[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #60718] History for Question about MODE tool

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 26 09:56:38 MDT 2013

I have a question about the MODE tool. I am trying to get the total coverage area of objects on the grid (for the fcst and obs fields).

The .ps output file given by MODE gives me this information on the first page.

When I use the Netcdf output file (.nc) to get the same information, by counting the number of grid-points with values  for the variables fcst_obj_id and obs_obj_id, I get different values (usually greater than the one found in the .ps file)...

I'm wondering why these values are different?

I know that In the documentation, you wrote this statement: "The object colors plotted by ncview will generally not correspond to those in MODE's PostScript output", but I don't understand why...

Which value is the right one?

Best regards,

Michael Jr. Powers

Météorologue | Meteorologist
Centre de Prévision des Intempéries du Québec | Quebec Storm Prediction Center
SMC - Environnement Canada | MSC - Environment Canada
Téléphone | Telephone: 514-283-9904