[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #61968] History for Can longitude be manipulated in MODE?

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 30 10:29:50 MDT 2013

I believe that grib files store global fields from 0 to 360 degrees. Certainly this is the way MODE is analysing objects. The small problem we are finding is that our part of the world (UK) is near/at the 0 deg meridian which is right on the edges. This often means that objects that straddle the 0 meridian are chopped in half. I can send an animated gif to illustrate if needed. MODE does not merge the two halves into one object as it does not have the notion of a cyclical/periodic boundary.

Ideally I would like to be able to tell MODE to reconfigure the grib file contents to be from -180 to +180 with the 0 meridian safely in the middle of the domain before searching for objects. Is there currently a way to do this?

I am happy to discuss this further when I am at NCAR in late July if it needs a discussion!

Thanks,
Marion

--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884830   Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier