[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62407] History for MET with GDAS

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 29 14:51:39 MDT 2013

I'm using MET with GDAS data and I'm confused about the output because of the six hourly nature of the GDAS files.  My WRF output is hourly (each hour is a separate output file) and I'm using GDAS data from the CISL archive, which is six hourly:
http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds337.0/#access

I've been using p_interp to interpolate one WRF time/file (ex: 7-30-2006 12 UTC) and then running point_stats with the corresponding GDAS file for that time (ex: 200607301200.nc ).  From what I understand, the GDAS six hourly files contain data for three hours on either side of the title hour; so for example, the 12 UTC file contains data from 09 - 15 UTC.  Does that mean that the output produced by point_stats is a comparison of the WRF output at one time (12 UTC) to the average of 09 - 15 UTC GDAS observations?

Ideally, I would like to compare my hourly WRF output files to hourly GDAS data using MET.  Is there a way to further discretize the six hourly GDAS files to extract the hourly data instead?

Thank you,
Tricia