[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62194] History for [Fwd: Possible 4.1 small error in contingency statistics]

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 11 15:08:30 MDT 2013

Hi Wally,

I'm on vacation until next Monday and this is more of a met_help question
anyway so I'm forwarding it to them.

Sorry I'm not much help right now.
Cheers, Tara

Subject: Possible 4.1 small error in contingency statistics
From:    "Wallace Clark - NOAA Affiliate" <wallace.l.clark at noaa.gov>
Date:    Mon, July 8, 2013 5:04 pm
To:      "Tara Jensen" <jensen at ucar.edu>

Hi Tara,

There may still be an error in the cts output. I have attached the cts file
for a comparison of GFS analysis with itself. Note the values of FY_OY
through FMEAN in the third line do not agree with the top two lines. I have
turned off merging and smoothing, though there is merging during the
matching if there is overlap. I have also attached the ps and obj.txt files
for context.

Cheers I think,
Wally

Wallace L. Clark, Senior Data Analyst 3
Science and Technology Corporation (STC)
NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory
325 Broadway R/PSD2
Boulder, CO 80305
303.497.3101 (ph)
Wallace.L.Clark at noaa.gov

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Jul 11 10:12:52 2013

Wally (and Tara),

I don't think that there is a problem here in the output of MODE.
It's just that the CTS output from MODE bears some explanation.

The CTS output contains 3 lines, labelled in the "FIELD" column as
RAW, FILTER, and OBJECT.  The contingency table information in the RAW
line is computed over the raw input fields themselves.
They're thresholded using the convolution threshold from the config
file (>=250 in your example).

The contingency table information in the OBJECT line is computed
instead using the resolved objects.  Anywhere an object is defined is
considered to be an event, and anywhere there's no object is
considered to be a non-event.  Then we add up the counts and compute
the statistics.

The FILTER line will be identical to the RAW line, unless you've used
the "raw_thresh" option, in which case it might differ slightly.

So why are they RAW and OBJECT lines different?  The object definition
process includes a convolution (or smoothing) step.  In your example,
it looks like you may have the convolution radius set to 0,
so that shouldn't be in play here.  But you've set the raw threshold
>= 10 and the area threshold >= 12 gs.  Perhaps there was a very small
object (with area = 7) that was thrown out because of the
area threshold.  That could explain the fact that the RAW and OBJECT
counts differ by 7.  You could try rerunnig this case with no object
area threshold to see how it changes things.

Hope that helps clarify.

----------------------------

From: wallace.l.clark at noaa.gov
Time: Thu Jul 11 12:16:06 2013

Hi John,
Your clarifications are useful as I have been somewhat uncertain about
the exact differences btwn the three lines.

My concern, though, is that the I used the gfs analysis field for both
the forecast and observed fields. (This seemed to be an easy way to
count total objects in the analysis). But this should yield perfect
consensus numbers and perfect agreement between forecast and
observation, which it didn't. ???

----------------------------

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Jul 11 12:29:49 2013

Wally,

I think you're interpreting this incorrectly.  It did result in
perfect agreement between the fields.  Take a look at the FY_ON and
FN_OY columns in the CTS file.  They're all 0.  The FY_ON and FN_OY
columns tell you the number of grid points at which the forecast and
observation *disagree*.  Since these are all 0, the forecast and
observation agree at every single point.

The difference between the RAW and OBJECT line is in the FY_OY and
FN_OY columns.  They differ by 7 grid points.  So when computing a
contingency table over the RAW data, there are 7 more "events"
than when computing a contingency table over the OBJECT data.  But the
forecast and observation fields completely agree, it's just that logic
for defining events differs between the RAW and OBJECT data.

So there's no problem here.  Make sense?

----------------------------

From: wallace.l.clark at noaa.gov
Time: Thu Jul 11 14:04:42 2013

John,

Ah! This time I do get it.  The minimum area threshold I left set to
12
caused 'event' pixels to be reclassified as 'non-event' pixels, thus
changing FY_OY, FN_ON, and the base rate. But because this occurred
identically in both data sets, the skill scores remained perfect. So
all is
as it should be!

Much Thanks,

Wally