[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62410] History for Support for MODE

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 29 14:56:21 MDT 2013

I am trying to compare precipitation skill from two different models using MODE, grid_stat, and wavelet_stat.  My models, however, are of different grid resolutions (one is WRF and one is ECMWF).  I was wondering if you had any ideas and/or comments on the quality of the results when evaluating two models of different resolutions?  In grid_stat and wavelet_stat, the skill scores typically take the scale into account, so it is not so much of an issue.  However, in MODE, I am struggling with the issue of interpreting results given the fact that the 'observation' objects are different between the models (due to the fact that conv_radius is dependent on the grid_resolution).  Of course, I could manually set this parameter to a fixed value, but I am not sure if that makes sense.  And if I did set it to a fixed value, if this value should be at the resolution of the ECMWF or the WRF.  Would you have any comments or ideas about how to achieve meaningful
 results while using MODE to compare models of different resolutions?

Thank you!

- Andrew