[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #60485] History for Clarification Reg the point rf

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 29 14:55:34 MDT 2013

Hi, I am verifyting WRF forecsat with the point rf. have following questions. 1. I read in the MET documentation that as far as the forecasts of the surface fields (say RF) are concerned, NO INTERPOLATION is done!!!! (Pg 4-1). They are MATCHED to Observations with the message type ADPSFC. There are 3-4 methods described in the PDf file how does the MET generates RF forecast at point location (nearest neighbour, min value, max value, least square etc). How do I know which method MET software has chosen/adopted for GENERATING the rainfall at the position of the rain-guage.  2.  The method of least square is one kind of interpolation technique whereas it is mentioned that no interpolation is done for the surface fields. Pls explain!!!! 3. I want to know how does the ME, MAE etc and other scores change if the resolution of the model is changed from 30 to 15kms.  I shall be waiting for your reply.
geeta