[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62030] History for Fwd: WRF follow-up

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 27 10:37:50 MDT 2013

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62030] Fwd: WRF follow-up
From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Mon Jul 01 10:08:27 2013

Hi Joe.  My name is Julie Prestopnik, and I am a member of the MET
group.  I have limited experience with the code and limited knowledge
about this problem, but I can tell you the extent of what I know.

The PB2NC tool retrieves temperature observations from the PREPBUFR
files and stores them as GRIB code 11, which is for temperature.
Apparently though, those values are sometimes temperature and
sometimes
virtual temperature (which is GRIB code 12).  It looks like we should
be
able to differentiate between sensible and virtual temperature by two
flag values from PREPBUFR.  This may have an impact on the perceived
cold-bias in WRF.

Hopefully, that helps.  Our lead developer is out through this week,
but
will be available next week if you have further questions.

Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Santanello, Joseph A.
Time: Mon Jul 01 10:51:39 2013

Hi Julie,

Thanks much.  So, just to confirm does this potentially impact
analysis
that was performed on the following dataset:

prepbufr.gdas.2006071412.wo40

>From here:  http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds337.0

Converted to netCDF using PB2NC and then ingested into MET?
Specifically,
2m (surface) Temperature?

Thanks again,
Joe

-----------------
Joseph.A.Santanello at nasa.gov
http://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/hsb/personnel/index.php?id=182

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Mon Jul 01 10:56:52 2013

I believe that this does potentially impact analysis on that dataset
if
temperature is involved in the analysis.

Regards,
Julie

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Santanello, Joseph A.
Time: Tue Jul 02 08:09:48 2013

Hi Julie,

I see.  One final question, is a fix in the works and is there an
expected
release of PB2NC soon?

Thanks,
Joe

-----------------
Joseph.A.Santanello at nasa.gov

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Tue Jul 02 09:19:28 2013

Hi Joe.  Our lead developer is out through this week, but I imagine
this
will be a top priority when he gets back.

Julie

--
Julie Prestopnik
Phone: 303.497.8399
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Jul 11 09:35:42 2013

Hello Joe,

I just wanted to let you know that we're working on a fix for this
issue this week.  Once we resolve it, we'll post an update to the
known issues page of the MET website.  And since this is a rather
significant issue, we'll also send out an email alerting all the
registered users of MET.  Once you get that email, please download the
patches and rebuild.

met_help at ucar.edu