[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #56648] History for Defining Interpolation Method in the GridStat's Neighbourhood Approach

Paul Oldenburg via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 11 09:02:09 MDT 2012

I came across this statement in MET_Users_Guide_v3.0.3 (page 5-3), "... The
user must specify several parameters in the grid_stat configuration file to
utilize the neighbourhood approach, such as the *interpolation method*,
size of smoothing window,..."

I would like to confirm that specifying the interpolation method is only
required if one wants to upscale the information and use traditional
verification metrics on the coarser grid, isn't it? So, if one were to use
the FSS and the BSS to investigate the results of the neighbourhood
approach, one will not be required to define the "interpolation method" and
other parameters related to the interpolation/smoothing approach. Am I
right to say this?

Thanks,
Raizan