[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #57787] History for question about mode output

Paul Oldenburg via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:19:41 MDT 2012

I am using the mode tool and have the following questions.

the verification and forecast maps are daily precipitation on a lat/lon grid
(0.5 deg) over the CONUS. The dimensions are: (150,60) = 9000 points. Since
I am verifying the forecasts only over land, the number of data points is
3389.

1) The output ascii file is:  mode_1920000L_20050109_000000V_240000A_cts
The variable TOTAL" is equal to: 8584
Shouldn't the total number of matched pairs be 9000?

2) In traditional forecast verification (e.g.,grid_stat), skill is computed
over collocated gridpoints in the verification/forecast maps.

In my case study, the verification/forecast maps have two objects each, but
one of the objects in the forecast does not match the objects in the
verification.

I am having problems to understand how the forecast skill is computed in the
mode tool. For example, how the variables FY_OY, FY_ON etc are computed?

I attached the output files here.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Charles.

Dr. Charles Jones
Researcher
Earth Research Institute (ERI)
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3060

phone: (805) 893-5824
fax:   (805) 893-2578
email:  <mailto:cjones at icess.ucsb.edu> cjones at eri.ucsb.edu