[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #55759] History for NCEP Grids in MET (UNCLASSIFIED)

Paul Oldenburg via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 16 08:54:37 MDT 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm trying to use the plot_point_obs capability and find that the default
grid on which the observation locations (appear to be large red dots) is too
small scale for my needs. I want to be able to focus in on a small area and
I can't seem to be able to zoom in close enough using the default grid.

>From the documentation, I saw that you can specify an NCEP grid for plotting
the obs. I would like to use a particular grid from the table at:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/tableb.html#GRID90

which is described below:

"Value" = 90. 11807617-point (4289x2753) Grid Over CONUS - Lambert Conformal
(Used by RTMA output for quadruple-resolution NDFD grid)
See GRIB Specifications

This grid appears to be of sufficient resolution (1.27 km) to be useful for
our purposes and I assume that I can zoom in to view obs plotted in a domain
of roughly 200km X 200km.

Am I correct in my assumption? Is this one of the grids available in MET? Is
the NCEP grid number you refer to in the documentation the same number as
the table shows in the first column which is named "Value"? (Grid
specification = G090?)

Does the plot_point_obs function just plot ob locations and not the actual
data?

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
(575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #55759] NCEP Grids in MET (UNCLASSIFIED)
From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Tue Apr 10 09:02:33 2012

John,

The best way to frame the plot_point_obs output around the point obs
you are interested in is to use the plot_point_obs
-data_file option, whose usage can be seen by running plot_point_obs
with no arguments:

Usage: plot_point_obs
         [-data_file name]

                 "-data_file name" specifies a data file whose grid
should be used for the plot (optional).

This option will allow you to pass the name of a gridded file (e.g.
your model data file) in, and the domain over which
that data lives will be the domain that is displayed in the point obs
plot.

 > Does the plot_point_obs function just plot ob locations and not the
actual
 > data?

Yes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks,

Paul

https://rt.rap.ucar.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=55759>

Subject: NCEP Grids in MET (UNCLASSIFIED)
From: Raby, John W USA CIV
Time: Tue Apr 10 09:10:02 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Paul -

Thanks for your response. The capability to use my own model output
file is
the best solution for me. I just tried it and it worked fine.

For future reference, is the NCEP grid number you refer to in the

From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Tue Apr 10 09:43:15 2012

John,

I'm afraid I don't know what documentation you are referring to when
you say "the documentation".  You can see a table
of NCEP standard grids here:

On 04/10/2012 09:10 AM, Raby, John W USA CIV via RT wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Paul -
>
> Thanks for your response. The capability to use my own model output
file is
> the best solution for me. I just tried it and it worked fine.
>
> For future reference, is the NCEP grid number you refer to in the
> documentation the
> same number as the table shows in the first column which is named
> "Value"? (Grid specification = G090?)

(UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Raby, John W USA CIV
Time: Tue Apr 10 09:56:07 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Paul -

The document is the MET User's Guide for MET V3.1 in Appendix B where
it talks
about the NCEP Grids and how you specify them. There, they use the
nomenclature "GNNN" ( where NNN is the NCEP grid number), but in the
online
table, I can't find an number called "NCEP grid number". So I was
asking if I
could use the number the online table uses which is "Value"?

Thanks.

From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Tue Apr 10 11:11:38 2012

John,

There is no way to directly tell plot_point_obs which NCEP grid you
want to use, but you can use copygb to easily regrid
data to one of the NCEP grids and then pass that regridded data file
to plot_point_obs using the -data_file flag.
Instructions for how to use copygb with the NCEP grid numbers can be
found in the online MET tutorial here:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv3.0/copygb/run1.php

Basically, just use the -xg option with the grid number.  I hope this
makes sense.  Please let me know if you have any
more questions.

Thanks,

Paul

From: Raby, John W USA CIV
Time: Tue Apr 10 12:50:21 2012

Paul -

I was trying to regrid using the tutorial method. Is there a way to
determine the NCEP Grid number of the source file you want to regrid?
When I use wgrib -V, it shows the grid definition parameters of the
source file, but I don't see the NCEP Grid number as part of that
info.

Thanks.

R/

From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Tue Apr 10 13:18:55 2012

John,

I don't think there is a way to get wgrib to report if GRIB data is on
an NCEP grid and which grid it would be.  I think
the only way would be to use the projection and parameter information
of your data to search through the table on the
web page with the NCEP grid definitions.  Sorry I don't have an easier
answer.  You could try to email NCEP and ask them
if wgrib or any of their other tools would help.

Paul

From: Raby, John W USA CIV
Time: Tue Apr 10 13:23:45 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Paul -

The tutorial was a good suggestion. I've been interested in the
regridding
process and that gave me a good start at learning how. Too bad there
isn't a
way to get the GRID number using wrgib -V. I'll see if I can contact
NCEP
about it.

Thanks for your help and information.

R/

From: Raby, John W USA CIV
Time: Wed Apr 11 07:58:08 2012

Paul -

I learned from a colleague here at ARL WSMR about another utility for
exploring the content of a grib file. It's called gribsimp. I used it
to look at one of our forecast files and found the parameter called
"Grid id" which turns out to be the NCEP Grib number.

So, I then used wgrib -V on the same file and found that it DOES show
the same id number as follows:

rec 272:13834038:date 2011062606 APCP kpds5=61 kpds6=1 kpds7=0
levels=(0,0) grid
=255 sfc 0-0hr acc:
  APCP=Total precipitation [kg/m^2]
  timerange 4 P1 0 P2 0 TimeU 1  nx 182 ny 182 GDS grid 3 num_in_ave 0
missing 0
  center 7 subcenter 0 process 89 Table 2 scan: WE:SN winds(grid)
  Lambert Conf: Lat1 37.651000 Lon1 -116.524000 Lov -113.442000
      Latin1 40.135000 Latin2 40.135000 LatSP 0.000000 LonSP 0.000000
      North Pole (182 x 182) Dx 3.000000 Dy 3.000000 scan 64 mode 8
  min/max data 0 0  num bits 0  BDS_Ref 0  DecScale 0 BinScale 0

>From the above dialog, you find the NCEP grid number is 255 from the
first and second lines of the dialog (grid = 255).

R/

From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Wed Apr 11 08:28:36 2012

John,

It looks like you're right.  I just tested a couple files we have and
that grid field does seem to show the NCEP grid
number.  When the grid is not a standard NCEP grid, it looks like that
value is 255.  Thanks for passing along that
information.

Paul