[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #55583] History for Compilation MET 3.1 error Ubuntu 11 32 bits running under VWare Windows 7

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 10 15:13:16 MDT 2012

Marcelo Gorritty
IIDEPROQ / UMSA

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #55583] Compilation MET 3.1 error Ubuntu 11 32 bits running under VWare Windows 7
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Mar 29 15:47:01 2012

Marcelo,

I see by the log file you sent that you're having problems building
METv3.1.  It looks like you're getting linker errors related to NetCDF
and HDF5.

METv3.1 does not currently make use of the NetCDF4 interface -
therefore compiling/linking against HDF5 is not necessary.  To get MET
compiling I think the following would be easiest:
   - Download a version of NetCDF and build it locally without support
for the NetCDF4 interface.
   - Edit your MET "user_defs.mk" file by removing those hdf5
libraries (-lhdf5_hl -lhdf5).  And set NETCDF_BASE to point at the new
build of NetCDF.
   - Try recompiling MET, being sure to do a 'make clean' first.

While you're at it, I'd suggest downloading the latest set of patches
for METv3.1.  They were updated this morning:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv3.1/index.php

Suggestions for how to compile the required libraries for MET,
including NetCDF, can be found here:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv3.1/compilation/req_libs.php

Since you're using GNU, the following commands (for C-Shell) could be
used to build NetCDF:
    setenv CC `which gcc`
    setenv CXX `which g++`
    setenv FC ''
    setenv F90 ''
    ./configure --prefix=`pwd` --disable-netcdf-4
    make
    make install

Please let us know if you continue to experience problems.

met_help at ucar.edu

https://rt.rap.ucar.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=55583>

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Apr 10 14:03:26 2012

Marcelo,

Just wanted to write to see if you've made progress on this issue.  If
you don't need any more assistance compiling MET, I'll resolve this
ticket.

From: Marcelo Gorritty
Time: Tue Apr 10 14:50:30 2012

Hi John,