[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #46783] History for Problem with METV3.0 (UNCLASSIFIED)

RAL HelpDesk {for Paul Oldenburg} met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 12 10:52:27 MDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I performed an experiment to verify some results I got last fall when I
tried to migrate over to using METV3.0 in the midst of calculating
Point-Stat and Stat-Analysis results for some case studies. I reported this
problem to you on 27 OCT 2010. When I compiled and used Stat-Analysis from
METV3.0 to process Point-Stat output which had been previously generated
using METV2.0, I found that the output was nearly all 0-sized files. The log
file of Stat-Analysis activity showed the following error:

"Dataline:: get_item (int) --> range check error"

This line was written each time it tried to process statistics for 8 surface
parameters.

The only exception was for WDIR which uses a different line type. In that
case normal statistics were generated.

In this experiment, I was able to reproduce the above error with test data.

I then re-ran Point-Stat, but this time using METV3.0. In this case
Stat-Analysis (METV3.0) produced good files with normal statistical results.

It appears that METV3.0 is not backward compatible with output generated by
METV2.0.

I was pleased to find that the statistics I generated from METV3.0
Stat-Analysis were identical with those calculated with METV2.0
Stat-Analysis.

I am anticipating migrating over completely to METV3.0, so I hope to avoid
further issues of this nature, but wanted to see if you can confirm that
this incompatibility is real or if it is possibly due to some other problem.

Thanks.
R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist