[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #46697] History for wind direction (point-stat?)

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 5 13:45:03 MDT 2011

I'm trying to verify some wind speed an direction forecasts, using observed
(surface) windspeeds.
The forecasts contain windspeed and the U and V components (and hence
direction can be derived). However, the observations only contain a
windspeed and wind direction (degrees).
When I try running point-stat for wind direction I get:
"wind direction field may not be verified using point_stat"

I understand (from the tutorial and web pages etc) that wind direction can
be verified using STAT-Analysis (with VL1L2 from the point-stat tool, which
is run on the U and V winds). However, my obs don't have a U and V
windspeeds, so is it not possible to verify the wind direction?

Of course it would be possible to convert the observed windspeed into U and
V components (with knowledge of the wind direction), and then run point-sta
and STAT-Analysis on those, but I was wondering if there was another way
around?
Thanks,
Jason