[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #48670] History for Ascii point obs format (UNCLASSIFIED)

RAL HelpDesk {for Paul Oldenburg} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 29 12:06:12 MDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

If I have ascii point observation data which contains -9999 in col 8 (Level)
before I run through ascii2nc, does this cause a problem for Point-Stat?

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
(575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #48670] Ascii point obs format (UNCLASSIFIED)
From: Paul Oldenburg
Time: Fri Jul 29 11:55:47 2011

John,

If your observations have a message type (column 1) of ADPSFC or
SFCSHP, then the value in the level column does not
matter, and point_stat will ignore it.  Those message types indicate
that the observations are surface obs and can be
matched with surface model data.  If your observations are not surface
obs, point_stat will not be able to match them to
model data in the atmosphere.

Paul

On 07/29/2011 10:44 AM, RAL HelpDesk {for Raby, John W USA CIV} wrote:

> Fri Jul 29 10:44:02 2011: Request 48670 was acted upon.
> Transaction: Ticket created by john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil
>        Queue: met_help
>      Subject: Ascii point obs format (UNCLASSIFIED)
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil
>

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> If I have ascii point observation data which contains -9999 in col 8
(Level)
> before I run through ascii2nc, does this cause a problem for Point-
Stat?

> Thanks.
>
> R/
> John
>
> Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
> U.S. Army Research Laboratory
> White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
> (575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
> FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
> Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil
>

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

I forgot to mention that the obs are all ADPSFC message type. Thanks
for your
quick response.