[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #50694] History for Question about MET Point-Stat (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:43:32 MST 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm trying to use MET Point-Stat to verify the performance of a high
resolution WRF model we run here at ARL at 3km and 1km horizontal resolution.
I am also comparing the error statistics I get with those generated by the
model we use to initialize the WRF which is the North American Mesoscale (NAM)
model run at 12 km resolution. I want to see if the error statistics for
surface met variables for the 3 models are similar or widely differing.

I presented a seminar last week on this work and a colleague asked a question
regarding the use of the distance weighted mean interpolation method. Our
current configuration file specifies DW_MEAN with interp_width of 2 and
interp_thresh of 1.0. I don't specify interp_flag.

The question was:

... when you compare the statistics using the 2x2 forecast to ob mapping is
there a bias due to the fact that for the coarse model (NAM) you are
allowing grid points that are significantly farther away to have influence
{i.e. grid point could potentially be almost 24 km away and the terrain
could be significantly different, albeit smoothed out quite a bit.  Whereas
at 3 km and/or 1km the influence of these points might be more appropriate?
What is any change is there if you use coincident/collocated points when
mapping forecasts to observations?  Is that even relevant?  I don't know for
sure. (don't worry about some of the numbers used in the wording as they might
have been looking at a mistaken graphic)

This question has to do with the size of the atmospheric volume which will
influence the value of the forecast interpolated to the location of the
observation. In the case of the lower resolution model (NAM), using our
current configuration file setting, forecast values in the area of 12X12 km or
144 sq km surrounding the observation are given weight in the interpolation
scheme.

In the case of the higher resolution WRF models, the volume of influence,
using the same config file, is much smaller. For 3km resolution, forecast
values in the area of 3X3 km or 9 sq km surrounding the observation are given
weight in the interpolation scheme.

In the case of the higher resolution WRF models, the volume of influence,
using the same config file, is much smaller. For 1km resolution, forecast
values in the area of 1X1 km or 1 sq km surrounding the observation are given
weight in the interpolation scheme.

For purposes of comparing error stats for models of varying resolutions should
I be altering the config file (interp_width) based on the resolution of the
model so the volume of influence is the same (i.e use interp_width of 2 for
12km NAM and interp_width of 5 for 3km WRF and interp_width of 13 for 1km
WRF)?

Thanks.

R/
John