[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #48774] History for Error using NetCDF files

RAL HelpDesk {for Paul Oldenburg} met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 16 09:00:38 MDT 2011

Hello MET-Help!

I am contacting you because I am having difficulties when I attempt to run
various met-tools with NetCDF format files (I am using WRF output). When
using grib files, I seem to be able to run MET (specifically point-stat)
perfectly fine, however, when I use NetCDF format, MET cannot seem to find
the specific attributes in the file.

Example: Point_Stat
when using grib I use the following line in my config file to assign
attributes:

fcst_field[] = [ "TMP/P850" ];
> obs_field[]  = [ ];

This runs properly.

However, when using NetCDF, I use this:

fcst_field[] = [ "T(0,5,*,*)" ];
> obs_field[]  = [ "TMP/P850" ];

...and I receive the following error in the unix window:

Reading records for T(0,5,*,*).
> NetCDF: Attribute not found

My NetCDF file most definately has the variable "T" that has the following
dimensions: (1,26,141,126) or(time,level,x,y).

is there something I should be doing in order to read NetCDF files properly?

Thank you very much for any help!
--
Gavin D. Chensue
University of Michigan - College of Engineering