[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #45901] History for Re:point_stat

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 19 08:53:47 MDT 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to inquire about the forecast threshold and observation threshold
settings in the configuration file for the point_stat utility. If I were to use
point_stat to compute the Gilbert Skill Score for precipitation threshold of a
particular range 10 - 20 mm, how would I set the range? I can set for discreet
ranges like le10 for less than or equal 10mm and so forth but how do I set the
config file to calculate the GSS for a particular range .

The second question is I tried calculating the GSS for rainfall > 100mm , for
48 hour accumulated rainfall forecast assuming the initial date is on the 24th
of a particular month , 48 hours will be verified against the 26th rainfall and
it yields a particular value but when I verified rainfall at initial time 25th
for 24 hours accumulated rainfall the GSS score is NA, is this because there
was no rainfall amount in the observation? If so, the 48 hour forecast on the
24 should also say NA. Please comment.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Kumar