[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #45409] History for MODE tool

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 8 11:33:59 MDT 2011

MET-Help,

I hope this email finds you well.  We're beginning to explore the MODE
Tool for verifying precipitation forecasts.  Since our company forecasts
globally, we are wondering if you know of anyone using MODE outside of
the U.S.?  And if so, what they are using for the observation grids?  In
particular, we're wondering about places where radar images are not
publicly accessible and metars are sparse.

One thing we have considered is creating a grid out of lightning strike
data to make a pseudo-radar image.  Of course, this would work well in
some areas (like the tropics) and not so well in other areas.  We are
particularly concerned with verifying our forecasts in Indonesia, so
that is why the lightning idea was proposed.

Hoping to get your thoughts!

Thanks,

Holly