[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #41643] History for Verifying Wind Direction with Point Stat

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 22 11:45:21 MDT 2010

In the process of verifying 5-min average winds using point observations (tower data) I would like to use UGRD/VGRD along with WIND and WDIR.  I have all four quantities available in both the GRIB-format WRF output and the obs data.  When I specify these fields in the PointStatConfig file I get the error message...

-> the wind direction field may not be verified using point_stat.

I see in the documentation that wind direction is done in Stat-Anal as long as the vector partial sums (VL1L2) for UGRD and VGRD are computed in the previous step (Point-Stat in my case).  Based on earlier exchanges with met-help (John) regarding these 5-min winds, it was suggested that I have Point-Stat write out matched pair (MPR) line types and compute statistics using Stat-Anal.  If I do that I assume I have to eliminate WDIR (and maybe WIND too??) from my PointStatConfig file, but how can I then get Stat-Anal to verify the wind direction if I haven't already generated the vector partial sums?

Many thanks,
Scott