[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #41328] History for 5-Minute Winds in WRF

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 13 13:07:12 MDT 2010

As I mentioned in an earlier met_help thread, I've added code to WRF to compute 5-min average u and v winds at both 10 m and 100 m, and would like to use the Texas Tech Reese Tower obs to verify the winds.  Based on John's earlier comments I've created NetCDF files for the obs each day, and I've modified WPP/WRFPOST to create GRIB files of the WRF 5-min average u and v winds (along with speed and direction).  In the GRIB files I coded the valid time for the wind data in minutes from the forecast start time so that each field is valid at 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, etc., throughout the length of the forecast.  This should allow MET to match the obs and the forecast perfectly in time.

For some reason I can't get Point-Stat to give me any results (the output files contain headers only, no data), and I'm not sure if the problem is with my input data or the way I've configured Point-Stat.  I wonder if I could pass along some sample data to see if you can help diagnose my problem?

Thanks,
Scott