[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #41235] History for a question with starting using MPP and METV2.0

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 1 15:09:40 MDT 2010

Dear Met_help,

I have a question related to MPP and METV2.0. I am new to both of the
softwares because I primarily work with ARW and another post-processor.

My ARW output files are in NetCDF format. Now I am trying to use
grid_stat to compare two output data at two time steps, which were
done on the same grid.

I made a run with WPP. And I suppose I got some grib files, though I
am not sure if my WPP run (using run_wrfpost script) were successful.
See below for the filenames.

run/postprd> ls -l WRFPRS_d01*
-rwx------ 1 mhan s0804 15221018 2010-10-01 11:13 WRFPRS_d01.000
-rwx------ 1 mhan s0804    74344 2010-10-01 11:13 WRFPRS_d01.003
-rwx------ 1 mhan s0804    74344 2010-10-01 11:13 WRFPRS_d01.006

Then, I tried to run MET grid_stat, and issued a command like this:

work/METv2.0> bin/grid_stat WRFPRS_d01.006 WRFPRS_d01.003
GridStatConfig_POP_12_try

In the GridStatConfig_POP_12_try, I have fcst and obs field like this:

fcst_field[] = [ "1/L1" ];
obs_field[]  = [];

And the screen output is as below:

GSL_RNG_TYPE=mt19937
GSL_RNG_SEED=18446744073357206860
Forecast File: WRFPRS_d01.006
Observation File: WRFPRS_d01.003
Configuration File: GridStatConfig_POP_12_try
***WARNING***: process_scores() -> PRES/L1 not found in GRIB file:
WRFPRS_d01.006

I tried several other field to feed the fcst_field[] parameter. But
neither of them work.

Would you please advise me what might be wrong? Since I am not sure
what is inside the Grib file, and not sure if I run the WPP correctly.
Would you please recommend any software that could help me make sure
the Grib files are OK?

Any suggestions and help are highly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Mei

Mei Han
Goddard Earth Sciences and Technology Center (GEST), UMBC.
Mail: NASA/GSFC/Code 613.1, Greenbelt, MD 20771, U.S.A.
Ph: 301-614-6336 (w), Fax: 301-614-5492
Email: mei.han-1 at nasa.gov