[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #41818] History for ASCII2NC and Point-Analysis Tools for METv3.0

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 18 10:30:35 MST 2010

MET team,

Couple of clarification questions for you, regarding the MET package:

1.  When preparing the point observation data for the ASCII2NC tool, I
realize that the longitude of the observing station must be in degrees
East.  Just to clarify - for example:

would 75 degrees West longitude need to be -285 degrees East longitude in
the file before using the ASCII2NC tool?

2.  I know that METv3.0 currently allows for WRF-ARW users to utilize
netCDF output directly from the WRF-ARW model itself.  The variables that
will be verified must be stated in the Point-Stat configuration file before
running.  I noticed the syntax:

var_name(i,...,j,*.*)

My verification studies will be focusing on wind speed (2-D or 3-D),
temperature, and dew point.  So would my forecast fields be defined in the
following way for surface verification (ignore the var_names as they will
likely be different):

fcst_field[] = [ "TT(0,*,*)", "DPT(0,*,*)", "WSP(0,*,*,*)" ]

or WSP(0,*,*) for 2-D

3.  Would the PB2NC tool be able to handle METAR data for conversion to
netCDF format (to be used in Point-Stat)?

I may have some questions for you about the Stat-Analysis tool when I come
to that step.  I appreciate all your help thus far.

Thanks,
James