[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #42042] History for Help with using MET

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 11 14:27:02 MST 2010

Dear MET_help,

I'm considering the use of MET for the verification of a
series of forecasts, then aggregated on a custom netcdf
file. I would, thus, appreciate if You could provide me
some info regarding a couple of questions:

1) Is met able to read this "custom made" netcdf file?
Basically, it is something like this:

ncdump -h fwi_output.nc
netcdf fwi_output {
dimensions:
	Time = 213 ;
	west_east = 110 ;
	south_north = 200 ;
variables:
	float Dates(Time) ;
	float lat(south_north, west_east) ;
	float lon(south_north, west_east) ;
	byte landmask(south_north, west_east) ;
	float T2(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float Wind(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float RH(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float RAIN(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float FFMC(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float DMC(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float DC(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float ISI(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float BUI(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float FWI(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
	float DSR(Time, south_north, west_east) ;

// global attributes:
		:description = "FFWI RESULTS FROM WRF GRID" ;
		:author = "Luis Carvalheiro" ;
		:date = "09-Nov-2010" ;
}

As you can see, it results from a postprocessing using
wrfout files, containing latitude, longitude, Time and
some meteorologycal output variables, as well as some
"products", related with the canadian FWI system
components. Is there a way of ingesting this file in MET
and perform evaluation for each time? I'm considering
using the point stat tool for 2m-temperature, 10m-wind
magnitude and 2m-relative humidity, and perhaps the MODE
tool to evaluate precipitation.

2) Could you "teach" me a quick way of performing my
intentions? My observation datasets are text files with
point observations from several stations around my domain.

3) Can i achieve a "time series" of forecast verification
measures (RMSE,MBE, and so on)?

Thank You Very Much in Advance,
Best Regards,
Luis Carvalheiro