[Met_help] error question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon May 3 14:19:08 MDT 2010

Jeff,

Yes, I'm guessing that it's a size issue as well.  Meaning that you're defining a very large number of objects - so large in fact that it'd be unrealistic to process them with MODE.  You could try
setting "fcst_conv_thresh" and "obs_conv_thresh" either very, very high (to define 0 objects) or very, very low (to define 1 very big object).  And then go from there to play around with the
thresholds to define objects how you like.

I'd be happy to take a look at the MODE forecast, observation, and config files to see if I can replicate the error you're seeing.  I believe it'd be pretty easy to replace that "Cell" class with an
existing "IntArray" class that would do the same thing and have no upper bound.

Are you able to send me sample data?  That way I could test a change for you to try to remove that upper limit.  If so, it'd be easiest to post it to our anonymous ftp site:

ftp ftp.rap.ucar.edu
username=anonymous
password="your email address"
cd incoming/irap/met_help
mkdir hamilton_data
cd hamilton_data
put "those files"
bye

Hello all!

I have a question regarding an error that I am getting when I try to run MODE on one of our cloud models here at AFWA, and was hoping one of you could point me towards a possible solution. I have two
grib files, the # hour forecast file and the corresponding 0 hour analysis file (both valid at the same time of course), but have come across this error when MODE tries to identify objects in the
forecast and observation fields:

ERROR: void Partition::add() -> too many cells!

My interpretation is that this seems to be a size issue, however, I have attempted to use the config file in order to reduce the size of the necessary data MODE processes to build the objects
(reducing the maximum distance between objects to compute interest, increase smoothing, etc.), and the same error has resulted. Any ideas on what I could do to address this?

Thanks, hope all is well!

// SIGNED //
JEFF HAMILTON, Civ SCEP
Model Analysis Team