[Met_help] Observation "Level"

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Mar 9 08:35:35 MST 2010

Jackie,

Try running the following command on your input GRIB file:
wgrib in_file.grib | egrep "33|34|11"

You'll see that the level values for U-component of wind, V-component of
wind, and temperature are likely set to a value of 2 (kpds7=2).  That
means that the "surface" winds and temperature are actually defined at
2-meters.  So use:
"33/Z2", "34/Z2", and "11/Z2" for those

Sorry for misleading you earlier about the level values for winds.  I'd
really suggest using the wgrib utility to interrogate your GRIB files and
figure out which fields/levels you'd like to verify.

So I'd suggest setting:
fcst_field[] = [
   "7/Z0","7/P850","7/P500","7/P250"
   "33/Z2",   "34/Z2",
   "33/P850", "34/P850",
   "33/P500", "34/P500",
   "33/P250", "34/P250"
   "11/Z2", "11/P850","11/P500","11/P250" ];

You'll notice that I've changed the order of the U winds and V winds in
the list.  In the notes in the Grid-Stat config file
(http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/grid_stat/GridStatConfig_default)
we suggest listing 33 followed by 34 at the same level in order to compute
the VL1L2 output lines.

Clear as mud?