[Met_help] Observation "Level"

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:37:45 MST 2010

Jackie,

For surface fields, you should probably indicate a vertical level value of
0.  Something like: "7/Z0" and "33/Z0"

In the fcst_field, the number or abbreviation before the '/' tells
Grid-Stat the meteorological variable you'd like to use (i.e. temp, press,
winds).  After the '/', you tell Grid-Stat what level value you'd like.
If you run your GRIB file through the "wgrib" utility to dump information
about it, you'll see that the surface fields have a level value of 0
(kpds7=0 in the wgrib output).  "Z0" tells Grid-Stat to look for a
vertical level with a value of 0.

Please take a look at the comments in the Grid-Stat configuration file for
a description of the level types to use.  And feel free to write if any
more issues come up.