[Met_help] New MET code for processing ncdf MADIS files

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 4 11:43:39 MST 2010

John,

When I tried to run madis2nc with the sample data file you sent me, I actually got a segfault.  After commenting out lines 760-761 for writing Wind Speed observations, the seg fault went away:
    759    // Wind Speed
    760    // write_obs_arr(f_in, nhdr, in_windSpeed_str, in_windSpeed_gc,
    761    //              bad_data_float, obs_arr_var, i_obs, conversion);

Once I ran madis2nc successfully, I did see the error message from Point-Stat.  The problem is a bug in indexing in the code I sent you.  Just remove the +1 from line 885:
    885       obs_arr[0] = i_hdr;

The first element in the obs_arr is the index of the header information to which this observation corresponds.  Point-Stat expects that that index starts at 0 and not 1, like I'd had it.

Give that a shot and see if it fixes the problem.