[Met_help] Fwd: Fwd: pcp-combine

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 2 11:57:47 MST 2010

Jeff,

I was able to retrieve the files and take a look at them.  And we've got some issues here.

I ran the following wgrib command to look at the Product Description Section of your GRIB file, and got the output below:

wgrib LIS_APCP -PDS10
1:0:d=10021918:APCP:kpds5=61:kpds6=1:kpds7=0:TR=133:P1=3:P2=0:TimeU=1:sfc:3-0hr fcst:ave at 1yr:NAve=0:
PDS10= 0 0 28 128 57 88 255 192 61 1 0 0 10 2 19 18 0 1 3 0 133 0 0 0 21 2 0 0

(1) First, the time range indicator in your forecast file (LIS_APCP) is set pretty weird.  It's set to a value of 133 which means:
   "Climatological Average of N forecasts, each a year apart, starting from initial time R and for the period from R+P1 to R+P2"
   Here's a table for how to interpret time range indicator values: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table5.html
   For precipitation, this is typically set to a value of 4 to mean "Accumulation".

(2) Second, the time values (the two numbers before 133 in the wgrib output) are set to 3 and 0.  These should probably be reverse and set to 0 and 3.  For an accumulation, this would mean that the
precip is accumulated from forecast hour 0 to forecast hour 3.  Going in reverse, from 3 to 0 doesn't make sense.

(3) Third, I see that this forecast data is on a global grid.  I've attached a jpeg showing a plot of the data which I generated using the IDV tool.  However your stage4 observations are only valid
over a much smaller CONUS domain.  See the other attached image.  Really, I'd suggest doing the interpolation the other way... interpolate the global LIS data to the CONUS stageIV domain.  Once these
other issues are resolved, what your doing would work.  But it'd run a lot faster if you interpolated to the CONUS domain rather than the global one.

It looks to me like there's probably some issues in how these LIS GRIB files are being produced.  I'd suggest trying to resolve those first.