[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #39448] History for Re: A no-rush question

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 26 14:50:17 MDT 2010

Jackie,

It sounds like you're interested in applying multiple thresholds to the
wind speed field.  So rather than using a single threshold to define a 2x2
contingency table, you'd like to use n thresholds to define an n+1 by n+1
contingency table.

For the tutorial in a couple of weeks, you'll be running a beta release of
METv3.0, and in METv3.0 we've added support for multi-category contingency
tables in Grid-Stat and Point-Stat.  However, the statistics you derive
from them is rather limited.  And unfortunately, I can't remember them off
the top of my head.  But we'll go over them at the tutorial.  And you can
ask Tressa Fowler for some statistics advice about your specific
situation.

You may also be able to set up METv2.0 to do what you'd like...

(1)If you're running Grid-Stat or Point-Stat and verifying over the full
domain of the data... you could define a data masking region where you
only use forecast points where the forecast wind speed is < 12m/s.  For
example, in the config file set:

 mask_poly[] = [ “infile.grb WIND/Z10 lt12.0" ];

 That way, only those points which have wind speeds less than 12m/s will
be used in the verification.  Next, in the config file simply verify by
setting the forecast threshold to gt4.0.  This will only work over the
full domain since masking regions can't be “combined”.  They're applied
one at a time.

(2)If you're running Point-Stat, you could dump out the matched pairs
(MPR) line type.  Then you could run those MPR lines through the
Stat-Analysis tool and run a job like this:

stat_analysis \
   -lookin out/point_stat \
   -job aggregate_stat \
   -line_type MPR \
   -out_line_type CNT \
   -fcst_var WIND \
   -column_min FCST 4.0 \
   -column_max FCST 12.0

 That'll filter the MPR lines, only retain those with a forecast value
between 4 and 12 and compute a bunch of continuous statistics from them.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

> No rush to answer this on your break, but wanted to get it in your
> inbox.  I want to include some discrete statistics in my verification.
> More specifically, I am interested in determining when the windspeed is
>> 4m/s AND <12 m/s.  I see that I can specify multiple thresholds for a
> single variable, but in the output it treats each threshold separately
> (separate line for >4 m/s and <12m/s).  If necessary, I can glean the
> information I need from these separate lines, but wanted to see if there
> was a way to combine these thresholds.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jackie
>

> Jackie Miller
> Meteorologist
>
> Vaisala Inc.
>
> Phone +1 303 885 3251
> Mobile +1 303 885 3251
> www.vaisala.com
> <https://exchange.ou.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=b302bd7f7cb24f099b2eb70ba1b9bf
> 5f&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwebmail.vaisala.com%2fexchweb%2fbin%2fredir.asp%3fU
> RL%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.vaisala.com>
>

> This electronic message contains a communication which is strictly
> confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s).  Any
> non-addressee is prohibited from reading, disseminating, distributing,
> or copying the communication contained herein.  If you are in possession
> of the communication in error, please immediately notify the sender via
> an electronic response and destroy the original communication.  Thank
> you.
>

> U.S. Export Restrictions & Disclaimer:  Export of any technical
> information contained in this email and/or its attachments is subject to
> the export control laws and regulations of the U.S. Government and may
> require a valid license or written approval prior to export.

Just got back in the office today and am catching up on email.  Did
the response below answer your question?  If so, I'll close the
ticket.