[Met_help] pb2nc error

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 24 10:57:32 MST 2010

Michael,

We'll I've never seen this error message from BUFRLIB before.  This is a new one for me.

Here's one thing you can try that may have an effect, but I'm not all that hopeful about it.  Look in your top-level MET Makefile for the flag "-DBLOCK4".  If it is commented out with a '#' in front
of it, try removing the '#' to uncomment it.  Or if it's not commented out, try adding a '#' in front of it to comment it out.  Then do a "make clean" followed by a "make" to rebuild MET.  And then
try re-running that test script, "METv2.0/scripts/test_pb2nc.sh".

Please let me know if that solves your problem.  If so, great, but like I said, I'm not that hopeful that that'll fix it.

My next thought is to see what compilers you're using.  Perhaps, you didn't build BUFRLIB and MET with the same family of compilers.
Here's an excerpt from our online tutorial about building BUFRLIB:
   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/compilation/req_libs.php

When you build BUFRLIB, you should use C and Fortran compilers from the same "family".
And when you build MET, you should use C++ and Fortran compilers from the same "family".  So g++/gfortran for GNU, pgCC/pgf90 for PGI, icc/ifort for Intel, xlC/xlf for IBM compilers.

If you continue to have problems, please send me the top-level MET Makefile you're using.  Perhaps I'll see something in there that's causing a problem.

met_help at ucar.edu