[Met_help] met and WRF/ARW

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:09:00 MST 2010

Julien,

Sure, happy to help.

MET is primarily set up to read GRIB files.  In the Point-Stat configuration file, you'll need to set the "fcst_field" and "obs_field" parameters to indicate what variables/levels that you'd like to
verify.  Here's an excerpt of the comments from that configuration file.  But I've added an example to the end of each line:

// Each verification field is specified as one of the following:
//    GC/ANNN for accumulation interval NNN             (APCP/A12 or 61/A12 for 12-hour accumulated precipitation)
//    GC/ZNNN for vertical level NNN                    (TMP/Z2 or 11/Z2 for 2-meter temperature)
//    GC/PNNN for pressure level NNN in hPa             (TMP/P850 or 11/P850 for temperature at 850 hPa)
//    GC/PNNN-NNN for a range of pressure levels in hPa (TMP/P850-700 or 11/P850-700 for temperature between 850 and 700 hPa)
//    GC/LNNN for a generic level type                  (TSOIL/L20 or 85/L20 for the soil temperature 20-cm below ground)
//    GC/RNNN for a specific GRIB record number         (TMP/R45 for the temperature record stored in the 45-th GRIB record)
//    Where GC is the number of or abbreviation for the grib code
//    to be verified.
// http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

GRIB records may be defined at a variety of different types of levels.  For example, a record value of "10" may mean 10-meters above ground or 10 hPa.  We use the letter (A, Z, P, L, or R) to indicate
the type of level to be used.  A is for accumulation interval and is mostly for precipitation.  Z is for a vertical level, like 2-meters or 10-meters above ground.  P is for a pressure level.  We use
L to mean a "generic" level where we ignore the "type" of level.  Suppose you have temperature defined at 10-meters and 10 hPa in the same GRIB file.  If you request, TMP/L10, both of those records
would match.  Point-Stat will look through the GRIB file for the FIRST record it finds with a level value of 10 and use it.  We use R to specify a particular GRIB record number from a file.

Generally, we suggest using A, Z, or P to specify the level that you'd like to use.  But if your record is defined using an odd level type and A, Z, or P don't work, you can try using L.  If that
still doesn't work, and you just want to get it to run, you could explicitly specify the record number with R.  But using R isn't a good long-term solution, since you shouldn't rely on the ordering of
records to remain the same from one GRIB file to another.