[Met_help] building MET on Ubuntu 9.10

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:44:20 MST 2010

Joe,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I was out of the office last week.

When I run STAT-Analysis with the data you sent, I actually see a different error:
   WARNING: do_job_aggr_stat() -> no matching STAT lines found for job
This message states that it can't find any STAT lines that match for the job you're running.

I think I know what's going on here.  In the STAT output file, you have 104 matched pairs for the 10-meter U-component of wind (UGRD/L10), the 10-meter V-component of wind (VGRD/L10), and 2-meter
temperature (TMP/Z2).  It appears, you'd like to aggregate those matched pairs and recompute continuous statistics.  However, you're trying to do so with a single job.  Instead, you should be using 3
different jobs, 1 for UGRD, 1 for VGRD, and 1 for TMP.

Try running the following three commands:
./stat_analysis -lookin point_stat_wrf_mynn_480000L_20020503_000000V.stat -job aggregate_stat -line_type MPR -out_line_type CNT -vx_mask FULL -fcst_var UGRD -dump_row UGRD_lines.stat -v 2
./stat_analysis -lookin point_stat_wrf_mynn_480000L_20020503_000000V.stat -job aggregate_stat -line_type MPR -out_line_type CNT -vx_mask FULL -fcst_var VGRD -dump_row VGRD_lines.stat -v 2
./stat_analysis -lookin point_stat_wrf_mynn_480000L_20020503_000000V.stat -job aggregate_stat -line_type MPR -out_line_type CNT -vx_mask FULL -fcst_var TMP  -dump_row TMP_lines.stat  -v 2

When you run an "aggregate_stat" job, you tell it an input line type (-line_type) and an output line type (-out_line_type).  You should also specify the forecast variable to be used for each job
(-fcst_var), because it wouldn't make sense to combine UGRD matched pairs with TMP matched pairs.  Also notice that I've dumped out the lines used for these jobs by using the -dump_row option.  When
first setting up a STAT-Analysis job, we strongly recommend the use of the -dump_row option.  After the job runs, take a look at the lines that were used for the job and verify that they're the ones
you intended.  Once you're confident that your job is doing what you expect, you don't need to use -dump_row anymore.

Also note that if you had used multiple interpolation methods, you should pick only one to use for each job.  But it looks like you've only used one in your Point-Stat output.

Once you get the jobs working on the command line the way you want, you could move them to a configuration file.

Hope that helps.  If you have any more questions, just let me know.