[Met_help] Greetings

pgoldenb at ucar.edu pgoldenb at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 12 09:04:52 MST 2010

Elelwani,

Thank you for registering on the MET help website.  It is possible to use
analysis fields from your model as the observation data in MET, as long as
the data is in gridded GRIB format.  Please be aware that your analysis
data may not be truly independent of your forecast data, and the resulting
statistics will reflect that.  Using real observation data will result in
performance statistics that more accurately reflect the true performance
of your forecast.  Refer to the MET User's Guide Chapter 2 for a
description on the type of data that MET accepts.  You can find a copy of
the User's Guide at this location:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/users_guide/MET_Users_Guide_v2.0_rev2.pdf

As far as finding your own observations, that is usually the MET user's
responsibility.  I'm afraid that I do not know any sources of weather
observation data in South Africa.  Perhaps one of your colleagues can help
you find some?  If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Paul Oldenburg
Software Engineer