[Met_help] MET/pcp_combine help

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:24:06 MST 2010

Jeff,

Very good question.  And I think the answer is that pcp_combine can't currently do that.  The "subtract" option for pcp_combine only allows you to specify the HH of the accumulation interval, not
HHMMSS.  So you'd only be able to perform the subtraction at the top of each hour.

Enhancing pcp_combine to allow you to specify HHHMMSS would be pretty straight-forward, but there would be implications for other MET tools.  Right now, pcp_combine creates a NetCDF file where the
variables for precip are named as "APCP_HH" where HH indicates the accumulation interval.  If we allow off-hour forecasts to be used, we'd need to generalize the variable names from "APCP_HH" to
"APCP_HHMMSS".  So we'd need to enhance the other MET tools to read that data.

Is this a pressing need for you?  Do you need to combine off-hour data in this way for your verification?  I'm also curious about your observations.  Do you really have observed precip that's
accumulated to 15 minutes after the hour?

If this is an issue that's standing in your way of using MET, we could probably figure out a fix.  We could enhance the code to allow you to specify HHMMSS for pcp_combine.  If you do need to pursue
this, please send me some sample data that includes some off-hour accumulations and a description of the pcp_combine function you'd like to perform.