[Met_help] Point Stat output

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:07:04 MDT 2010

Jackie,

Let me mention a few things:

(1) Whenever you run Point-Stat, it creates an ASCII file ending in ".stat".  That STAT file contains the output for all line types.  Those optional ASCII ".txt" files are only created if you set the
output_flag[] values to 2 in the Point-Stat configuration file.  Those ".txt" contain a duplicate of the data that's in the STAT file, but they're conveniently sorted by line type making them easier
for a human to read.  If you're creating a lot of MET output, and the output file sizes become an issue, you could consider disabling the output of the ".txt" files and just using the STAT files instead.

(2) Have you tried using the STAT-Analysis tool at all?  We set it up to read those STAT output files from Grid-Stat, Point-Stat, and Wavelet-Stat.  It can be used to do a variety of things, including
filtering out and summarizing columns of data using all sorts of filtering parameters.  You may find it useful in your work.

(3) To answer your question, the ".txt" and STAT output of Point-Stat is delimited by one or more spaces - we pad with enough spaces in each line to make the columns line up.  This can be tricky from
a scripting perspective.  When I'm parsing the output of MET in a script, I usually do something like the following:
   cat sample.stat | sed -r 's/ +/ /g' | cut -d' ' -f23

That "sed" command will convert any instances of one or more spaces to a single space.  And then I use "cut" with a delimiter of a space to pick out a single column - the 23rd column in the example above.