[Met_help] polyline define

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 27 13:52:42 MDT 2010

Segayle,

(1) For Grid-Stat, I'd suggest using the default interpolation method:
   interp_method[] = [ "UW_MEAN" ];
   interp_width[]  = [ 1 ];

That essentially means to do no smoothing.  Since the forecast and observation fields are on the same grid, using a width of 1 means to match each forecast point to the closest observation point.
Since those points exactly overlap, that means do no smoothing.  But yes, you do need to specify something.  If you empty either out, you should get a error when you run Grid-Stat.

(2) The points in the polyline file should define the boundary of a polyline region.  I don't think it matters if they're listed in clockwise or counter-clockwise order, but they should be listed in
order as you step around the boundary.  Adjacent points in the list are connected and the last point in the list is connected up the first point.  The lat/lon's do not need to be the location of grid
points.  MET will draw the lat/lon polyline and then step through each point in the grid.  For each point, if it's corresponding lat/lon value falls inside the polyline, it's turned on.  If not, it's
turned off.